Monday, November 12, 2007

A Day at the Tracks

David , Fred and Tom analyzing thier 'system'


Oh Yah, Oja




Yum...diseased meat.

The Hasting Race Tracks

This review is a bit different from previous entries. I went into this one knowing full well that this burger was going to be puke-worthy. Ah yes, the concession stand burger. The demise of many an American baseball and football fan. The most likely to induce runs at the carnival. Oh, beer league...it wasn't the beer that made me vomit in your boyfriend's lap...it was your old friend the concession stand burger. You know the one, it comes in red and white checkered wax paper. The patty is 4 millimeters thick and the bun has soaked up what must be years of flat-grill grease, gristle and unknown animal fat.

On this sunny, early fall Saturday, myself, Emily Oja, Thomas Kuzma, Frederick Young and David Bestwick decided to go loose some well-earned money at the tracks. The boys seemed to think that they had a 'system', something to do with stats. Em and I bet on the horses with the pretty colours and funny names. I think the horse that lost me my five bucks was named Rx Prescription. He must have been high. Fucking dopers.
In any case, it was delightful afternoon that saw us win a group total of $6.75. And, I got to experience the ever popular concession.

Here is the theory that Emily and I came up with: Old, lame horses do not get put out to pasture; they are laid to rest at the concession stand. Seriously, I have no idea what that meat was but it was not beef. Possibly skunk, as Vancouver is over-run with the pungent rodent. Hell if I know. But, in all reality, I never expected it to be good. Just greasy, sloppy and possibly life threatening. Emily is still recovering from her botchulism.

My rating: If you want to make your stomach sad...eat at the tracks.

No comments: